Saturday, December 31, 2011

Can we do better?


It is December 31st and most media outlets are doing stories reflecting on the year that has past.  We all know what happened this year.  We know that our economy is still trying to make a recovery from near collapse.  We know that people everywhere are still hurting as they try to find employment.  We have seen the worst in our society reflected in the news media where issues of child molestation, murder, robbery and rape intermingle with greed, selfishness and self-absorption.  It still boggles my mind that in a country that has vast amounts of wealth, we still have a chasm that divides the haves from the have not’s.
So here’s a thought just for laughs and giggles.  Can we as a people do better in 2012?  Can we think less of ourselves and more of our fellow man even though we are still reeling from an economy that has taken a drastic plunge?  Can we step up our game and restore ourselves to be the unified force that we at one time had been instead of representing the very worst in society to the other nations of the world?  Can those of us that believe in God bring Him to the center of our lives which is where He belongs?  Is it possible?
A few years ago, a radio personality began the New Year with a prayer.  I was returning home from a New Year’s celebration and at the stroke of midnight, I was crossing the Benjamin Franklin Bridge when I heard the prayer.  It was beautiful in its simplicity and perhaps the most fitting way to bring in the New Year, so I thought that I would share with you my own personal prayer for this 2012.
“Dear God:
Can you help me to do better this year than I did last year?  Can this be the year that I find and live out my true purpose as a man?  Can you help me with that?  Can you help me to think clearer and trust in you more often?
Can you help me to become the man that you’ve destined me to be?  And if it’s not too much to ask, help me in the area of forgiveness by making me the first person that I give that gift to. 
Can we as a people learn how to love one another in spite of our differences?  Will you bless us this year with wisdom, compassion, understanding, knowledge and prosperity?  Will you heal every hurt and ease every burden just a little?  Can you help those that need to lead…lead with love; restoring us as heads of households and homes across the country?
Can you help me to find my purpose as a man and help me to put all of my faith in your more than capable hands?  Will you remove the imperfections and flaws from my character as long as I can remain humble?
Merciful Father, may I start each day thanking you for everything you are as well as for everything you will do.  In the holy and wonderful name of your son, Jesus Christ!  Amen.”

For people that do not believe in God, I don’t wish to offend you, but everybody believes in something, so perhaps maybe you can place your faith in whatever you believe your deity to be.  You can call it whatever you want.
For the readers of my column, I wish you love, joy and peace this new year.  I truly hope that you find your blessings and in turn, be a blessing to others!!

J.L. Whitehead

2 comments:

  1. Every New Year's Eve millions of people around the world pray that the new year will be better than the last. I am one of those people, but as the years go on my hope diminishes more and more that the world will change, but I can't give up. I agree with this post and like you I ask the same questions myself. Perhaps one day all our prayers will be answered. But you know, you can't deny that though the world is messed up, it has its up sides too and people will never stop trying to change it and because of that I have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha...first of all, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Many people don't realize that people that blog don't really have a gauge on how many people read what they have to say until someone out of the blue leaves a few words to let them know that they've read what they said.

    Praying has become so important to me, even if I don't do it every day. I love God...but I don't talk to Him every day. I should, but I don't. I pray...but that doesn't necessarily translate to me communicating with Him. But when I DO talk to Him, make no mistake...He knows it.

    I hope that 2012 brings you all of the love, joy and support that your heart can hold. Blessings are gifts from God and we should treat them that way! Thanks again for taking the time to comment on my blog.

    J.

    ReplyDelete