Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blessings in disguise!!

I was watching a re-run of "The Golden Girls" when one of the characters said something that resonated with me.  The character was Sophia Petrillo,mother of Dorothy Zborniak, and what she said went something like this: "I don't know why blessings wear disguises.  If I were a blessing, I would want to run around naked!"

After my chuckle, I realized that my blessings aren't really disguised as much as they aren't always acknowledged.  I realized that every time I can think of something to write...it's a blessing.  Every friend I make on Facebook and Twitter...it's a blessing.  Every time I receive an email from my publicist who proudly tells me that she has done X-Y-Z...it's a blessing.

People have come into my life to offer me encouragement, and it always seems as if they come at just the right time.  People that I had thought were against me turned out to really be for me.  Most recently, an aunt that I had been estranged from for a long period of time came out of the wood work and called me.  She told me that she loved me and she always had.  The reason that we had drifted apart had been inconsequential.  All I remember at that point was that I loved her, and at that moment it was so good to hear her voice.

I live with a wonderful person with a beautiful heart.  Everyday, I get either a phone call or text message reminding me that I am loved.  That in and of itself is a blessing.

There are people within this industry...people that have tried my patience and perhaps made me question myself and my abilities...yet I found out that they still respect me because of what I am trying so hard to do as well as the manner in which I am doing it.

You see, I'm trying very hard to get to where I want to get to at my own expense and not at the expense of anyone else.  I will uplift you along the way if I can, but I will never step on you.  I will try to be honest in what I do and say because ultimately, I want my reputation to be one where I spoke my mind, but I didn't hurt you.  I've been on the receiving end of hurt and it doesn't feel very good.  Knowing that is a blessing.

There are people that I appreciate, but it doesn't have to do with what they've done for me so much as who they are to me.  My close friends in the literary community (and you know who you are), I've come to value and treasure.  People that are ahead of me in the game, I've also come to value you even if you have no idea that I do.  The reason for that is that you inspire me.

My family, my close friends, my partner, my publicist, my people - I want you to know that I value you...and as long as I do, you are a blessing...to me.  You may be something to somebody else, but you are a blessing to me.

I won't name you individually because if you are valued, nine times out of ten, I've probably told you.  I'm just going on record now as stating this as a fact.

For now, know that I count my blessings everyday.  And I know that at times they can be as numerous as the stars in the sky.  I also know that sometimes clouds can obscure the view.

But tonight, in my world...the sky is clear...and I am a better person for having you along side me!

No comments:

Post a Comment