Monday, November 14, 2011

When you realize that it's not always about you

Recently, I started networking with other authors as well as people that are in the literary community.  I wanted to find out about their work, what makes it special and if I could provide a little bit of publicity to help them along the way to achieving their dream.  The response was amazing.  I got the chance to talk to others not only about their work and what makes it unique, I started to lay the ground work for making a respected name for myself in the literary industry.

I figured that since I wrote for a national publication, maybe I could expound upon what I have already done for some of my local authors in the surrounding Philadelphia, New Jersey and Delaware areas. I've come to understand that this industry isn't about me and my creative talents.  It's about everyone that has embarked on this journey to being recognized for the contributions that they make to the industry; both financially and emotionally.

It feels good when someone tells you that you've put out work that is in demand...especially if the compliment is sincere.

The thing that I have to remember is that I have to be the change that I want to see in the world (I read that as a quote somewhere).  I have to let others shine...even if their light is brighter than mine.  Now because I have an ego, that won't always be easy to do, but it can be done.

Later on in this blog, I will start including the works of other authors because I believe that everyone deserves the chance to have their talents showcased.  Most authors have found out that it is extremely hard to obtain press coverage.  It's even more difficult to have your work recognized for what it is. 

But wouldn't it be nice if everyone had the chance to have their fifteen minutes of fame?

No comments:

Post a Comment