Sunday, March 18, 2012

What you do for you can actually count against you!!

I've been looking for full time employment recently.  I was of the mindset that having a steady, dependable paycheck coming into my household in addition to what I do for myself and my company would perhaps help me reach my financial goals quicker.  After all, we all know that it takes money to make money. 

I've made connections with companies; emailing correspondence, landing phone interviews and then while keeping fingers crossed...getting the face to face interview.  I have my ducks in order with the appropriate copies of resumes tucked away in my briefcase.  I've created the packet of paperwork that the company has sent me along with the necessary letters of recommendations.  I select the best shirt and tie to go along with my suit, and off I go to speak with someone who may have the power to offer me a position.  And once I reach this point, something goes wrong...and I think I'm beginning to see what it is.

For starters, potential employers are looking for a certain type of personality to fit into their organization.  Dependent upon the position that you are going for, they may not always want the person that is anxious to excel using their professional talents and skill set, no matter how much their organization may benefit from it.

On one of my last interviews, the Director of Human Resources asked me what I had been doing for the last two years and I told him that in addition to looking for employment, I had been promoting a novel that I had written.  And he instantly "Googled" me for my information.  Under "J.L. Whitehead" came a listing of some of my writing accomplishments...all of which I believed translated to him that I would not be a person that would stay with the company long term.

It is common practice for corporations to look at everything that they can about you including but not limited to your Facebook page.  And on my Facebook page, I have even more information about my writing career...all of which worked against me.  I suppose that if I looked at me through their eyes, I probably look like someone that would leave the moment I got my first break as opposed to being grateful for having the job that they are giving me...that is, if I ever received an offer.  So what do I do?

Well, I had to change my strategy.  I have to apply for jobs where my skill set works for me as opposed to against me.  Even though my professional resume reflects a background of Customer Service/Benefits Administration, I would have to look for those positions that entail writing in some way, shape or form.  I'm editing now, which means that I have references to back me up.  Use that.  And above all, keep doing what I'm doing to promote myself and my business.

Maybe I've reached a stage in my life where the career change from what I used to do to what I want to be has arrived and I have to go with it.  Maybe this is God's way of telling me "You need to do what you were born to do now that you understand what that is".  As crazy as it sounds, I have to believe that changing my strategy is long overdue, and indeed, leaving anything that resembled my former professional life behind is a must.

I'll keep you posted!

J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment