Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Next Move

Entering the writing industry and expecting to make money is probably one of the hardest things that I've ever done in my life.  Everything that I've ever done is dwarfed by comparison.  Writing in many ways has been the center of my life, whether I liked it or not.

The hard lessons that I've learned so far are probably nothing compared to what I still have to learn.  But the thing that I hold fast to is that there is no room to quit...no matter how bad things get.  I also will not let anyone take away from me the one thing that I know that I can do well.

Some of you reading this are probably wondering why I'm saying this.  You may also think that all of this has much to do about nothing.  Well, as for the reason why I'm saying all of this...let's just say that I'm reminding myself as to why I chose to enter this industry in the first place.  It's the passion that burns within me; at times the fire is very bright and at others it's glowing like a piece of hot coal...but it never goes out.

I realized early on that people write for different reasons.  My reasons were simple; I wanted to make money doing something that I love.  So here I am moving forward.  I've enlisted the help of a printer that has affiliations with Ingrams database.  To my knowledge, Ingrams database is THE database that every author's book should be listed in.  This will enable any business to purchase your book from one local source.

My title has been set up and my book should be listed within the next couple of weeks.  Now I have to embark on a professional publicity campaign.  All of this would of course be easier if I had the backing of a professional publishing house...but I don't.  I formed my own.

With that being said, I am now "paying my dues".  I've picked up some editing jobs to generate income and keep myself in the little luxuries that I've become accustomed to...things like eating!

Seriously though, I'm enjoying what I do and doing what I love.  Hopefully, you've found your passion and you're running with it.  The only thing that I can tell you is to keep it moving forward and don't be afraid of stumbling or even falling.  And don't worry about the people out there that will laugh or talk about you if and when you do.  Just pick yourself up, dust yourself up and keep it moving...forward!

J.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment