Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Reality of Politics

Article posted on The Examiner:


We knew that the 2012 presidential campaign was going to be nasty.  We knew before presidential hopeful Mitt Romney decided to run for this nation’s highest office that the campaign would be full of distortions, statements taken out of context and situations blown out of proportion.  We know that this summer, our television airwaves will be bombarded with negative ads released by both parties, and unfortunately we will be caught in the middle.  Our senses will be overloaded with negativity and many of us will want to abstain all together from what will surely be a close race shifting to either candidates favor as November draws closer still.

I’ve already grown tired of it.  I’ve grown tired because I understand that the race for the White House isn’t about what it really should be about regardless of what the candidates say.  What we are going to experience is simply the reality of politics.  

I understand that there are still many people that are hurting because of policies implemented by the Bush Administration.  I believe that people are still hurting not because of failed policies by the Obama Administration but because of our government’s refusal to put the people of this nation first.  Republicans and Democrats have been at odds for years.  This is nothing new…but it has become completely transparent as it has become particularly brutal in recent days.

Our nation went into a slow decline with the Bush Administration.  I believe that this is a point that everyone can come to agreement on.  Many people believe that we are still hurting because of the failed policies of President Obama.  I’ll give you that because you as an individual are entitled to believe what you want.
But doesn’t it strike you as odd that the very party that claims that they can solve our economic problems initially caused the problems to begin with?  Does anyone beside me see that the tax cuts for those possessing excessive wealth of this nation did absolutely nothing to create jobs in this country?  Is it just me or did the trickle down theory not work?  And regarding our president’s failed policies…how he managed to get anything done while he was in office is anyone’s guess when the very party that caused the economic chaos that our country is experiencing fought him tooth and nail on virtually everything, regardless of the compromises that he attempted to make.

I’m not speaking out against Mitt Romney nor am I advocating President Obama.  I want you to look at the facts and not simply what paid advertising wants you to believe.  I believe that Mitt Romney is a fine business man.  He is a creator of wealth.  I just question whether those characteristics alone are enough to warrant the title of President of the United States.  I believe that as the holder of that title, you have to be able to represent all people of this country.  And as for our current president, I don’t agree with all of his policies, but I believe in most of them.  Do I believe that if he had the cooperation of the Senate, could he have gotten more accomplished? Absolutely.

I know that he has received all of the blame and none of the credit.  That much is clear.  And I know that certain special interest groups would have you believe that he did absolutely nothing during his four years in office.  I find that incredulous.

Personally, I believe that in order for this nation to truly get on the right track, our politicians need to start doing what they should have been doing all along…putting the people of this nation first.   I think that we need a presidential candidate that embodies a sensible business ethic in combination with a social fairness that will allow a swift economic recovery for all people and not just a chosen few.  I don’t have a problem with those that have extreme wealth in this country.  I just don’t want you to stop me from living the American Dream because you’re already living yours.

We need to understand that we are going to see the worst in both of our candidates in the upcoming months.  I hope our candidates understand that we need to see the best in them as well.  We as a people need to know what you are going to do for all of us as a nation because too many people are still hurting, and our government has spent too much time fighting to worry about us.  We need to know that you are concerned about us and not just about the power that the title Commander in Chief holds.

And so Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney…what’s it going to be?

J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment