Sunday, February 12, 2012

There are worst things than being alone...but open your eyes to confirm!

At the beginning of this year, I found myself once again taking on the literary industry single-handed.  It's a battle that I find frustrating at times and rewarding at others.  But the simple reality of it all is that it's no different than doing a nine to five job with the exception of the restrictions of having to be at a certain place at a given time. Every day is spent doing the task that you hope will ensure your success as both an author and a human being.  You network utilizing the social media tools that will bring both you and your product to the attention of the masses with the hopes that someone will give you more than a cursory glance.

I remember talking to a good friend who happens to own a bookstore here on the East Coast recently.  I told her why I do what I do.  I spend time making friends on Facebook and having conversations with other authors and poets in the hopes of showcasing someone's  work in the best possible light.  I explained that at the end of the day, whoever reads what I've written about another author would have also been privy to my own individual writing style.  As a result, I try to do my best writing each and every time I conduct a review.  I try to uplift that person by asking questions that would allow my readership to get to know their work as well as who they are as an individual respectively.  I explained that we are standing on the precipice of the writing industry changing into something that will eventually become the new norm.  Social media tools that had at one time been used exclusively for keeping in contact with friends (or perhaps finding old and new ones) are now the norm.  We can't afford to be without them.  Having your own website has become the new business card.


Still, with all of this, at times I feel isolated in my quest to become who I am supposed to be.  I understand that my walk is very personal and only I can take these steps.  But the funny thing about your walk is just when you think you're walking alone, you find that you really aren't.  You find that there are people that understand you...perhaps even admire you for what you are trying to accomplish.  Just having the tenacity to move forward when circumstances may tell you that you can't do it earns the respect of some people that come into your life.  Circumstances change and just when you think you have to compromise who you are trying to be...BAM, someone comes into your life to prod you into moving in the right direction.  It's happened to me many, many times...so I keep it moving forward.


I realized that there are worst things than being alone.  You could be isolated.  But isolation can be self-imposed.  You don't have to play to an audience of one.  Alone doesn't translate to lonely just like working singularly doesn't mean that you are by yourself.  There are people all around you...you just have to have the wisdom to open your eyes to see them.


So whatever your dreams are...keep reaching for them.  You will not obtain them doing nothing at all.  No one is going to come along and drop it in your lap.  Most of us have to get out there and do the non-glamorous aspects of our career to achieve the level of success that we desire.


There are worst things than being alone.  Sometimes, that very thing can be a dream unrealized.


J.L. Whitehead

 

No comments:

Post a Comment